This is going to be a weird post because it’s going to run for two days.
Today and Wednesday.
The reason for that is simple. The Arizona Complex League concludes its season today. The same is true for the Dominican Summer League, although no one from the DSL is going to make the big jump to the states to play in Myrtle Beach.
So, we could see a few players matriculate to South Carolina from Mesa on Wednesday to play baseball for the next 3+ weeks. If the Cubs do decide to assign some to the Pelicans, they are most likely going to be position guys. The pitching has been less than stellar in Arizona this summer.
We should also see Brennen Davis get a rehab assignment up to either Myrtle Beach or South Bend today. It probably won’t happen until late in the afternoon.
Let’s take a look at a few names who could be headed east to supplement the Pelicans’ roster.
1. Michael Carico – The Cubs’ fifth round pick is probably going to be given a shot to play in Low-A especially considering he just began playing last week.
2. Alexander Hernandez – He has been tremendous most of the summer hitting .315 with a 130 wRC+ heading into Saturday’s game.
3. Carter Trice or Drew Bowser – I don’t think both draft picks head to Myrtle Beach, but Trice is more likely as his K rate is much lower than Bowser’s 40+%.
4. I think it would be pretty cool if Zyhir Hope and Alfonsin Rosario head to Myrtle Beach to get a head start for 2024 for the recent high school graduates. But I am not holding my breath.
5. Ke’Shun Collier – Mr. OBP would be some nice speed to be added to the Pelicans roster.
I would not expect more than 3 guys getting called up. If a pitcher gets called up, I am going to be stunned.
Here is what all has gone down since last Tuesday.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans activated LHP Jack Aldrich from the 7-day injured list.
RHP Landon Ginn assigned to Myrtle Beach Pelicans from ACL Cubs.
Tennessee Smokies transferred SS Fabian Pertuz to the Development List.
Tennessee Smokies placed LHP Scott Kobos on the 7-day injured list.
Tennessee Smokies activated RHP Porter Hodge off the Development List.
Iowa Cubs transferred LHP Stephen Gonsalves to the Development List.
LHP Richard Bleier assigned to Iowa Cubs.
Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Edwin Uceta to Iowa Cubs.
Jake Washer activated off the Development List.
I will be back later this morning.
That was a little odd for the 17-year-old out of Cuba as today was the last day of the DSL season. And then the game was rained out. Tough break!
Luis Martinez-Gomez and Grayson Moore were assigned to the ACL Cubs today for their final game. Moore pitched 1 inning and LMG got in 2/3 of an inning in the ACL finale.
RHP Kenyi Perez placed on the Development List
Wednesday 10:20 AM
Michael Carico, Grayson Moore, Garrett Brown, and Luis Martinez-Gomez (LMG) are being assigned to Myrtle Beach from the ACL. The pitching is a bit of a surprise. We shall see if Alexi Hernandez is added later.