Feature photo by Rich Biesterfeld
What I’m Reading
• Ed Howard is gonna draw eyeballs every day as long as he’s a part of the Cubs organization. So what can we expect from Silk this season?
• This year’s draft is shaping up to basically completely exclude college arms as options for the Cubs in the first round.
• Every time you talk to a Cubs pitching prospect, he brings up the impact Casey Jacobson has had on his development process. He’s an incredibly valuable member of the Cubs organization-wide coaching staff.
• When I was a kid, I would go out to the garage and throw a tennis ball against the wall. My first throw would be a grounder to the shortstop (me), and second throw would be a bullet to first base (also me). I’d try to complete it in four seconds. And now that’s how the Cubs are training their top prospects.
• I couldn’t stop smiling the entire time I read this piece from Sahadev at The Athletic.
What I’m Watching
• Brennen Davis hitting home runs will always get a feature here on the Mid-Week Buzz. You guys are in for quite the video montage when Brennen makes his MLB debut, let me tell ya.
• Yohendrick has always been ELITE at doing this. If he shows some pull-side power, that’s when we can start getting super excited.
What We’re Tweeting
• LESS THAN THREE WEEKS UNTIL OPENING DAY
• I promise you, here at NSB, we will not let the prospect hype go away.
• In a system full of breakout candidates and injury bouncebackers, Daniel Palencia might be the guy I’m most excited to watch this season.
• Manny Rodriguez just continues to put on muscle.
What’s Catching My Eye
• Several notable prospects are gonna be in big league camp as non-roster invitees this year. The relievers + Strumpf particularly pique my interest.
• Huge blow to see Drew Gray go down with Tommy John Surgery. He was one of the guys I was most excited to watch this year. Best of luck to him in his recovery, and can’t wait to see him tear it up come 2023!
• It’s not being talked about and I understand it’s not a sexy topic, but this year’s Rule Five eligible players are really getting shafted.
• Cory Abbott is still a prospect but he’s already a Cubs legend.
• Who’s back of the week: AZ Phil!