Feature photo by Rich Biesterfeld
What I’m Reading
• Besides the work that we’ve been putting together here at NSB, we’ve seen a ton of terrific feature pieces across the Chicago media landscape. Beat writers and content creators from The Athletic, Chicago Sun Times, MLB.com, Chicago Tribune, and Marquee have all been present in Mesa to cover the minor leaguers in camp. Let’s hope that continues as the MiLB season kicks into gear and the MLB season continues under lockout.
• Todd discussed the mystery man, Cristian Hernández, here at North Side Bound.
• Sahadev and Patrick took the Pete Crow-Armstrong hype train to a new speed over at The Athletic.
• Your obligatory James Triantos coverage comes from Sahadev and Patrick at The Athletic.
• More Sahadev and Patrick, this time about DJ Herz.
• I told you there was good prospect coverage this week. The Athletic guys (the publication, not their physique) wrote about Owen Caissie, too.
• Maddie Lee talks Reggie Preciado, his flexibility in the field, and his launch angle. Awesome stuff over at the Sun Times.
• Maddie also dug into Caleb Kilian and asked him what’s next after a whirlwind year in 2021.
• Wonderful Cubs beat writer Jordan Bastian has been forced into minor league duty but is doing as good there as you’d imagine! This piece is on Jordan Wicks.
• An important read from Todd, how does the lack of a CBA affect the Cubs minor leaguers moving forward?
What I’m Watching
• Remember when Yohendrick Pinango did this?
• Come for a preview of Brendan King and Max Thoma in the South Bend broadcast booth this year, stay for a great interview with DJ Herz.
• RED ALERT! Cristian Hernández batting practice!
• We’ve heard about Ed Howard’s elite exit velos and I’m exciting to see him make some more contact this year so he can put that bat speed to work.
• I can’t get over how much Benjamin Rodriguez looks like Carl Edwards, Jr. in this bullpen session. The build, the windup, the delivery. All of it.
• This video is baseball. I love baseball.
What We’re Tweeting
• I would watch minor leaguers literally all day long if I could.
• I ran through my projected starting lineups for opening day. Myrtle is my go-to, but please don’t sleep on the South Bend hitters!
What’s Catching My Eye
• Rojo Bros til I die. Rojito might be the best nickname coming out of the Cubs system in years.
• The bad news of the lockout trickles down to the minors, unfortunately.
• I-Cubs broadcaster Alex Cohen knows what’s up.
• Minor league opening day is April 5th. 34 days away.