What I’m Reading
• A few things were posted right here at NSB over the past week that were actually some of my favorite reads we have had since launching. Here’s your sampling:
Just how valuable is the Cubs second round pick and is it worth it to sacrifice the selection to sign a player tied to a Qualifying Offer? https://t.co/4Lphc8PWfb— North Side Bound (@NSideBound) December 16, 2021
New Affiliate Pages Go Up https://t.co/YbeaGRjLsA— North Side Bound (@NSideBound) December 18, 2021
Things You Missed in 2021: Nelson Maldonado, Jared Young, and Their Odd Splits￼ https://t.co/EftG6poD3Q— North Side Bound (@NSideBound) December 18, 2021
• Brett and Bryan at Bleacher Nation have pointed out how different Iowa is going to look in 2022 compared to the past five-plus years. It’ll be a pretty prospect heavy roster, led of course by the likes of Brennen Davis and Nelson Velazquez.
What I’m Watching
• This has gotta be an old BESR bat that James Triantos is using, right?
More of James Triantos destroying baseballs pic.twitter.com/vwJtdhikqo— RushingBaseball (@RushingBaseball) December 15, 2021
• The serious: Max Bain is working on catcher set-up to improve his command this offseason. The not-so-serious: let’s try to get him a life-size cutout of Bryce Windham to help him with his training.
The perfect blueprint to the offseason? @mbain_38 throwing to a life-size wooden printout of @b_windy20, using a photo taken by @biest22 and printed by Bryce himself. The result? Many more strikes!https://t.co/po1Cg0fLPu pic.twitter.com/y9qUs7y7Nc— Greg Huss (@OutOfTheVines) December 20, 2021
• DJ Herz is an absolute baller and I don’t want you to forget it.
As we wait for baseball to return, I just want to say I can't wait to see this guy back on the mound in 2022. Which Cubs pitching prospect are you most looking forward to seeing this season? pic.twitter.com/wEwTlMfGir— Greg Zumach (@IvyFutures) December 21, 2021
• It’s still deadlift SZN
What We’re Tweeting
• If you’re a Cubs prospect that’s reading this and you haven’t posted a deadlift video… what gives?
To Cubs minor leaguers NOT joining in on the deadlift trend: pic.twitter.com/Ri0toujJQo— Greg Huss (@OutOfTheVines) December 15, 2021
• Zumach with a good look under the hood at our NSB group chat. Todd’s been working his butt off to bring you guys as many unique things to this site as possible!
A behind the scenes from NSB, in the group chat @CubsCentral08 will throw out an idea for the site, we’ll discuss the build, and then Todd will send a message a bit later saying it’s ready for rollout. He’s a machine!— Greg Zumach (@IvyFutures) December 17, 2021
The Affiliates pages are another great resource from Todd. https://t.co/xLeMzIRY6V
What’s Catching My Eye
• My picks as the biggest steals of the MiLB team name draft? The Akron RubberDucks in the 8th round and the Macon Bacon in round 10.
We drafted our top 30 minor/independent league team names on today's episode!— Farm To Fame (@FarmToFame_) December 15, 2021
Which of the teams did we miss in this draft? pic.twitter.com/K6ztuRoMpg
• Yohendrick Pinango has been seen wearing a short cast on his left arm (throwing arm) on his Instagram. All things told, that’s actually a good sign and tells me that the surgery had nothing to do with his shoulder or elbow. We’re hoping it’s a a hand issue and we’ll get to see him without any hiccups come 2022.
• Chase Strumpf is being slept on by all of us. He had to adjust to Double-A last year, of course. But not everyone can adjust as seamlessly and quickly as Brennen Davis. Strumpf bounced back in a huge way last year and as brutal as he was in the middle of the season, he ended up being better than league-average at the plate. He’ll probably start back in Double-A next year but it won’t be long before he sees Iowa.
Chase Strumpf by month in 2021:— Brad (@ballskwok) December 20, 2021
10.4 BB%, 25.4 K%, .436 BABIP, .073 ISO, 130 wRC+
11.8 BB%, 30.4 K%, .232 BABIP, .124 ISO, 63 wRC+
19.3 BB%, 19.3 K%,.167 BABIP .154 ISO 87 wRC+
14.5 BB%, 26.1 K%, .447 BABIP .254 ISO, 184 wRC+
Feature photo of Chase Strumpf by Rich Biesterfeld (@biest22)