The Arizona Fall League championship game aired on MLB Network on Saturday night which meant Cubs fans got a front row seat to the show Caleb Kilian put on. North Side Bound’s No. 14 prospect looked nasty all night, pitching to a final line of 5 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 7 strikeouts, 0 walks.
Greg Zumach will have a deeper dive into his outing because, let’s face it, this performance deserves multiple posts. Until then, we’ll marvel at Kilian’s sinker-cutter-slider-curveball combo.
• A cutter, sinker, and curveball back-to-back-to-back means a 41-second strikeout.
Caleb Kilian is perfect through four innings. FB 92-98, sit 94-95; CT 87-90, CB 75-79, all for strikes. 45 pitches, 34 strikes.— Kyle Glaser (@KyleAGlaser) November 21, 2021
Mesa 5, Surprise 0, end 4. pic.twitter.com/wa6fvmSs91
• Not a whole lot of guys get a chase on a heater low and inside.
This is Kilian's second strikeout on a fastball chased outside the zone. pic.twitter.com/WXck94hd9b— Kyle Kishimoto (@kylemoto10) November 21, 2021
• Look at the arm-side run on this sinker. My gracious.
Caleb Kilian with a sinker with some huge tailing action, almost changed directions in midair. After hitting a 106 mph foul ball on the previous pitch, #Yankees prospect Andres Chaparro was completely lost. pic.twitter.com/1jZs7OFoWV— Kyle Kishimoto (@kylemoto10) November 21, 2021
• I’ve been told some guy names Hottovy digs high sinkers. Well, here you go.
Caleb Kilian gets his 6th strikeout of the game on a fastball tipped into the glove. Has struck out 6 in 12 batters faced and none have reached base. pic.twitter.com/pIUx0nzqgR— Kyle Kishimoto (@kylemoto10) November 21, 2021
• The dude just manipulates the heck out of his pitches. Drop a few ticks off the cutter, get some more depth, and voila! A good looking slider!
Another slider/cutter whiff for Caleb Kilian! pic.twitter.com/9WU1yVX1ql— Kyle Kishimoto (@kylemoto10) November 21, 2021
• And an exclamation point to an incredible night!
CALEB KILIAN WITH ANOTHER STRIKEOUT!!!! 6 PERFECT INNINGS WITH 8 STRIKEOUTS. After going mostly fastball/cutter throughout the inning, he brought back the curveball to end it. Threw way more curveballs in his 2nd time through the order than the 1st. pic.twitter.com/jjeskDTgF4— Kyle Kishimoto (@kylemoto10) November 21, 2021
• Here’s a whole lot of pretty pitches, if you’re into that sort of thing!
Six. Perfect. Innings.— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) November 21, 2021
On the Fall League’s biggest stage, 14th-ranked @Cubs prospect Caleb Kilian was lights-out. pic.twitter.com/WNlBwGEDcd