This is where you’re really going to see the true vibes of this brand new site on full display. The desire of the four founders of North Side Bound was to continue the hard work we have been doing already, individually, but now combine it and bring your eyeballs to one centralized location.
I’m not changing what I do or how I do it (for the most part), I’m just doing it with my friends in a new location. The Mid-Week Buzz is something I’m pulling over from Out Of The Vines and it’s just a quick snapshot of what’s been going down in the prospect world over the past week.
For the most part, it’s going to be a collection of tweets, articles, and other thoughts that you can find daily on our Twitter feeds. But in case you might have missed something and are too lazy to visit each of us on that awful bird app, I’ve got you covered right here!
What I’m Reading
• So, we uh, started this website…
• You want Nelson Velazquez content? There’s plenty of it out there right now. Greg Zumach profiled this season from the big outfielder right here at NSB, Greg Huss had him covered over at Cubs Insider, and Jim Callis at MLB Pipeline wrote about Nelly and Caleb Kilian taking home player of the week honors in the AFL.
• Evan Altman wrote about the aforementioned Kilian developing a new pitch and *of course* it’s a spike curve. We’ve heard that before in this system.
AFL Pitcher of the Week Caleb Kilian Implementing Spike Curve – Cubs Insider https://t.co/ZdAaFCV0Z6— Cubs Insider (@realcubsinsider) November 2, 2021
• The big news coming with our NSB opening day was the release of ALL FOUR of our founders’ prospect lists. That’s a lot of content and a ton of time you can waste at work while reading through them all!
We’re kicking off our site with a bang! FOUR prospect lists from four different writers!@NelliganJimmy: https://t.co/ETFZox5ucW…@IvyFutures: https://t.co/DdVqPN6QTM…@CubsCentral08: https://t.co/fT5Rb6DZW8…@OutOfTheVines: https://t.co/MsIEhTPD22… pic.twitter.com/bMPlAeWrJh— North Side Bound (@NSideBound) November 2, 2021
What I’m Watching
• A couple of our favorite prospects, Kohl Franklin and Max Bain, helped us to put together a fun hype video for North Side Bound. I edited the whole thing and it still gets me amped up.
North Side Bound. November 1st. pic.twitter.com/yojatL33BC— North Side Bound (@NSideBound) October 29, 2021
• So this Velazquez fella might be on to something, huh?
• Our fellow contributor Rich Biesterfeld has been snapping some terrific shots of the AFL participants including these of Kilian.
Cubs Prospect @cjkilian97 who was acquired from the Giants in July threw 3 scoreless innings while striking out 6 in action today for the Mesa Solar Sox. His stuff had the opposition off-balance all day! #CubsProspects #MiLB #AFL #Cubs pic.twitter.com/xLYe66H84M— Rich Biesterfeld (@biest22) October 28, 2021
• With Nelly out there doing his thing, we haven’t talked enough about Andy Weber and his crazy good fall. You can watch him here instead.
Cubs prospect Andy Weber (@andyweber5) went 2-6 with an RBI plus contributed on two double plays in Monday's 15-15 tie between the Solar Sox and Javelinas @SloanParkMesa @MLBazFallLeague #Cubs pic.twitter.com/HZzcBv1JKi— Scott Changnon (@ScottyChags) November 1, 2021
What We’re Tweeting
• Honestly, not a whole lot in the tweet department this week. We’ve each spent (probably far too much) time self-promoted and plugging this wonderful place. Apparently that means the creative juices haven’t been flowing the typical amount. Come back next week for more!
What’s Catching My Eye
• Bryan over at Bleacher Nation is way ahead of the game and already putting together some potential 2022 depth charts.
🚨First 2022 Organizational Projected Depth Chart of the Offseason 🚨— Cubs Prospects – Bryan Smith (@cubprospects) October 31, 2021
As always, much is in flux and the error bars are huge. Tried to not have FAs in sheet, or second contract guys in projected spots.
Spots are up for grabs everywhere, but this works as a first guide. pic.twitter.com/xPV4RUE1CK
• The lowest ranking we had for James Triantos was #9. It makes sense considering his raw talent and the crazy numbers he put up this year.
18-year-old hitters in domestic minor leagues with at least 50 PA.— Matt Eddy (@MattEddyBA) October 31, 2021
.250 ISO or higher and 20 SO% or lower.
Feature photo of Caleb Kilian by Rich Biesterfeld (@biest22)